School Police Program - Goals and Objectives
To ensure a safe and secure environment for all District students, staff, and visitors and to ensure the school district is prepared to effectively respond to all emergencies that might affect safety or security of students and staff.
- Provide law enforcement and police services to the school, school grounds and areas adjacent to the school.
- Investigate allegations of criminal incidents per police department policies and procedures.
- Enforce state and local laws and ordinances.
- Make appropriate referrals to juvenile authorities or other governmental agencies.
- Work to prevent juvenile delinquency through close contact and positive relationships with students. In addition the SRO shall develop crime prevention programs and conduct security inspections to deter criminal or delinquent activities. The SRO should monitor crime statistics and work with local patrol officers and students together to design crime prevention strategies.
- Establish and maintain a close partnership with school administrators in order to provide for a safe school environment.
- Assist school officials with their efforts to enforce Board Of Education policies and procedures.
- Ensure school administrator safety by being present during school searches, which may involve weapons, controlled dangerous substances or in such cases that, the student’s emotional state may present a risk to the administrator.
- Assist school administrators in emergency crisis planning and building security matters. Provide a course of training for school personnel in handling crisis situations, which may arise at the school.
- Develop a standardized response to an all hazards response plan in cooperation with local emergency responders.