Reading At Home....Can make a huge difference!
CHOOSE BOOKS THAT ARE AT AN APPROPRIATE READING LEVEL FOR YOUR CHILD
- Use the five finger rule. Open the book to any page and ask your child to read. Put up a finger every time your child does not know a word. If you have put up five fingers before the end of the page, this book is too hard for your child.
- Choose books that match your child's likes and interests.
MAKE READING A PART OF YOUR FAMILY TIME!
Family time is so important...Why not make reading part of this valuable time with your kids? Here are some tips for integrating reading into our daily family activities:
- Read bedtime stories
- Play a board game
- Visit your local library
- Read a recipe and cook something yummy together!
- Create a comfy reading space at home.
- Put your child in charge of reading the grocery list at the store.
Keep plenty of reading materials in your home: books, magazines, newspapers, and comic books. Children enjoy having a variety of reading materials!
Last Modified on July 25, 2018