B=beginning skill S=secure skill D=Developing
Underlined-finished with this skill Red=working on this now
1. What reasons and evidence did the speaker provide to support his/her points?
S= Identify the reasons and evidence a speaker provides to support particular points.
2. How do I write compound sentences?
- D=Identify and name the function of conjunctions.
- S=Write compound sentences using the correct coordinating (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).
- S= Use a comma before the coordinating conjunction.
- S=Correct errors with compound sentences.How do I identify and use progressive tense verbs in writing?
- S=Identify and locate verbs in the progressive tense in mentor texts.
- S=When given a mentor sentence, find and correct errors in the progressive tense.
- S=Form and use the progressive tense when writing.
3. How do I identify and use progressive tense verbs in writing?
S=Identify and locate verbs in the progressive tense in mentor texts.
S=When given a mentor sentence, find and correct errors in the progressive tense.
S=Form and use the progressive tense when writing.
4. How do I plan and draft my opinion writing?
S= Determine your opinion about an issue.
S=Identify the intended audience.
S=Use a graphic organizer to record reasons, facts, and details in a logical order in which related ideas are grouped together.
S=Use a plan to write a draft of the opinion writing piece that includes an introduction, body, and conclusion.
5. How do I revise my opinion writing to best convey my ideas?
S=Write and introduction that states your opinion/claim to the audience.
S=Group ideas to support writer's purpose.
S=Use transition words/phrases to link the reasons to the opinion(for instance, in order to, in addition).
6. Which verb should I use to ask permission, share a possibility, or share an intention?
S=Identify and locate modal auxiliaries in mentor texts (could, should, would, may, can, might).
S=When given a mentor sentence, find and correct errors with modal auxiliaries.
S=Form and use modal auxiliaries when writing.
7. How do I revise my opinion writing to make it more convincing?
S=Use clear nouns and verbs to convey ideas precisely.
S=Choose punctuation for effect.
S=Choose words and phrases for effect.
D=Use a variety of sentence types (simple and compound) to appeal to the audience.
8. How do I publish and share my opinion writing?
B=Match the format (letter, speech, petition, poster, podcast, blog, etc.) to the writer's purpose and audience.
D=Edit the draft for grammar and conventions.
D=Rewrite or type the writing into a final copy.
S=Present published piece to the intended audience.