Unit 3 Comprehension and Vocabulary
B=beginning skill D=Developing skill S=Secure skill red-Unit essential questions black=working on this skill Underlined=finished teaching this skill
1. What did I discover about the topic from the text and text features?
S=interpret text features (e.g. graphics, headings, subheadings, graphs, pronunciation guides, charts and tables.)
S=Make connections between the information in the text and text features.
2. How do I describe the overall structure of an informational text using details and text features?
S=Use the events, ideas, concepts, or information and text features to determine the overall structure of a text or part of a text(cause/effect, compare/contrast, problem/solution, chronological, and description).
S=Describe the overall structure of the text or part of the text.
3. How do I use specific information in a scientific or technical text to explain the series of steps/events?
S=Determine the important steps/events/ and explain them in sequential order.
S=Explain what happened and why based on specific information in the text.
D=Explain the relationship between two or more events or ideas.
B=Analyze how an idea or event is introduced, illustrated, or elaborated in a text (e.g. through anecdotes, examples, or sequence of steps).
4. How can I figure out the meaning of a word?
S=Use the roots port, trans, and vis to figure out the meanings of words.
S=Brainstorm words with trans and port and use the root to explain the meaning of these words.
5. How do I use specific information in a historical text to explain the series of events?
S=Sequence the important events and explain what happened.
S=Explain the causes of the important events
D=Explain the relationship between two individuals events, or ideas (cause/effect, compare/contrast, problem/solution, chronological).
B=Analyze how an individual, idea, or event is introduced, illustrated or elaborated in a text (e.g. through anecdotes, examples, or sequence of events).
6. How do I synthesize information on a topic from more than one text?
S=Integrate information from two texts on the same topic.
D=Integrate information from several texts on the same topic.
B=Compare and contrast one author's presentation of events with that of another (e.g. a memoir by and a biography on the same person).
7. How can I figure out the meaning of a word?
S=Use the suffixes able and ible to figure out the meanings of words.
S=Brainstorm words with able and ible and use the root to explain the meaning of these words.
D=Use the correct suffix, able or ible when writing words.