Your School Counselor
What Does a School Counselor Do?
- Classroom Guidance Lessons- Mrs. Simcox will be visiting classrooms throughout the school year to discuss topics relating to social, emotional, academic, and career education for all students.
- Small Group Counseling- Several small groups will run each school year depending upon student need. Topics of small groups may range from anxiety, friendship and social skills, dealing with divorce or separation of parents, self-esteem, or coping skills. Not all groups are run each year and parent permission is required for students to participate. Groups take place during the school day and run for approximately 30 minutes a session for a total of 6-8 sessions.
- Individual Counseling: One-on-one counseling sessions are offered to all students as needed during school hours. Students may be referred by parents, teachers, or themselves. I am able to meet with students typically up to three times before I recommend a family find a counselor outside of school for a more regular counseling experience
- Provides helpful suggestions to parents and teachers to support children’s needs
- Helps identify academic and social/emotional needs of children
- Provides information to parents and teachers about community resources that would benefit children.
Last Modified on September 21, 2021