Constructing a line graph in Excel or other spreadsheet program is similar to making a graph by hand.
- The independent variable still goes on the x-axis.
- The dependent variable goes along the y-axis.
- The graph still needs to contain a title and labels for the x and y axis.
- Open Excel on the computer.
- The first thing you will see is a spreadsheet, this is where your data will go
In column A, hit enter to skip the first cell, then enter your data for the independent variable. Example from Practice Problem 1
- In column B, label your dependant variable and put in your data. Use a new column for each set of Data. Example from practice problem 1
B C DWineGoldenGala141415121213119101079878877
Click and drag and your mouse to highlight the data.
- Click the chart wizard tab on the toolbar
- Click on line graph and the option that is already selected the hit Next.
- Follow the chart wizard, entering Titles and Labels when prompted
- (Type your title with your name at the end)
- Ex. The Effects of Different Brands of Soap on Bubble Size – Mrs. Fortenbaugh
- At the end, select As New Chart and then hit finish.
- Print graph
- Do the same for Practice Problem 2