Welcome to the Nurse's Nook!Thank you for taking time to visit our website! We are happy to be such an integral part of your child’s school health services team. Our goal is to deliver quality acute, chronic, and/or emergency health care to your child in an atmosphere of care, concern, and safety. As members of the health care team, we work in collaboration with you, the parent/guardian, and your child’s health care provider to ensure that your child’s overall health plan is followed during their school day. We want you to feel comfortable about the care your child is being given. We will be happy to discuss any concerns with you. Please feel free to contact us.Tina M. Bechtel, RN, BSN, CSN, MS Ed Michal Smith, RN, BSN, CSNtbechtel@cdschools.org email@example.com and 12th grades 9th and 11th gradesphone: 717-703-5360 ext 72351 phone: 717-703-5360 ext 72352fax: 717-775-3217 fax: 717-775-321710/11/21 Hard to believe we are in mid-October already. Fall is such a great time of year in Pennsylvania. The weather is perfect, the leaves are beautiful; there just seems to be an excitement in the air during the fall season. However with fall comes the start of cold and flu season. Combine that with Covid and it suddenly becomes less exciting and more challenging. So, things to remember...if your child wakes up ill, please keep them home. This is the number one way you can help us all remain in school without interruption. It is hard to differentiate between allergies, colds, and Covid. Please refer to the symptom tracker and should your child be exhibiting any of these symptoms, please call us. We can arrange to have a PCR test performed here, or can assist you in finding a place outside of school where tests are performed. Please consider getting your child vaccinated for both Covid and the flu. There is a concern that our healhtcare system could become overwhelmed should the flu season be particularly virulent. Vaccination is a free and quick way to help prevent this from happening. Your local pharmacies, food stores, or primary care physicians are all places where these vaccines are available . Finally, discuss the importance of proper hygiene ettiquette with your child. Washing hands frequently, covering their mouth and nose when they cough, getting the appropriate sleep at night all go along way in helping to prevent illness and its spread. Again, as always, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us!8/30/21 Welcome Back! We are excited to begin the school year. Even though it will continue to be a challenging year, we are ready to get started and anxious to see all the students back in the hallways! Letters were sent home over the summer outlining what each student would need regarding required health information. Please ensure that this information is completed and returned to us during the first week of school. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to either one of us! Congratulations to the Class of 2022 as you enter your senior year, and welcome back undergrads...it will go more quickly than you think! Lets make the most of each day!6/3/21 Thank you all for helping us to navigate through this very different year. We will be out of the office until August 25th and will only have limited access to email and voicemail. If you need immediate assistance, please contact the main office at 717-703-5360. Otherwise, please contact us upon our return in August.****REMEMBER:ALL INCOMING SENIORS NEED PROOF OF SECOND MENINGITIS VACCINE. FAILURE TO SUBMIT THIS PROOF WILL RESULT IN EXCLUSION FROM SCHOOL STARTING ON THE 6TH DAY OF THE NEW YEAR.ALL JUNIORS NEED PROOF OF PHYSICAL EXAMINATION. AN OBLIGATION WILL BE SUBMITTED FOR THOSE STUDENTS WHO DO NOT MEET THIS REQUIREMENT. OBLIGATIONS CAN AFFECT ATTENDANCE AT THE GRADUATION CEREMONY.ANNUAL HEALTH SURVEYS WILL BE SENT OUT DURING THE SUMMER. PLEASE COMPLETE THESE AND HAVE YOUR SON/DAUGHTER RETURN IT DIRECTLY TO THE NURSES ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL.Again, thank you for your assistance and patience throughout the year. We look forward to the beginning of a new school year AFTER a restful summer for all!Stay healthy!Mrs. Bechtel and Mrs. Monahan (soon to be Smith!)5/14/21 As we transition to the end of one school year and look forward to the beginning of the next please be aware of the following housekeeping items:
- Endof year medication pick-up will need to be scheduled with the nurse. No controlled substances can be sent home with a student. Any other med may be released to the student with written permission from the parent or guardian.
- All current sophomores will need to submit proof of physical examination at the beginning of their junior year. These physicals can be dated at any time from the first day of their sophomore year. Driver's license physicals, sports physicals are accepted as proof of physical exam.
- All current juniors will need proof of a second Meningitis vaccine (MCV) by day one of their senior year (or proof of one vaccine given after their 16th birthday). Any student who does not submit proof of this vaccination will be excluded from school on Day 5 of the new year.
Annual health surveys which include permission to give over-the-counter medications will be sent home in the summer. Please complete these and have your son/daughter return them directly to the nurses' office.
We are not in the building over the summer and will have limited availability via email. Please contact the main office directly should you have any immediate needs.
Thank you and have a great, healthy summer!3/17/2021 Junior physicals are scheduled for the afternoon of April 29th. Any junior who has not submitted proof of their state mandated physical, will be scheduled to see the school physician on that date. More information will be forthcoming.3/1/2021 Any CORE student who did not have their annual growth screening (height, weight, vision) exam, can call the nurses' office to have these scheduled. They will be done on every Friday in March with the exception of the inservice day on March 12th. Please call your grade level nurse to schedule this basic screening if you would like. As always, we encourage you to see your health care provider for a more detailed exam if you have specific concerns regarding your health status.2/1/2021 Just a reminder, we are able to perform Covid testing for any symptomatic student at the high school. If you are interested in a test, please contact Mrs. Bechtel at the above number for more information.11/25/2020 Governor Wolfe has issued new restrictions for anyone traveling outside of the commonwealth. Anyone over the age of 11, who will be traveling outside of the commonwealth for more than 24 hours, must quarantine for 10 days, or have proof of a negative test done within 72 hours of their return or during their quarantine period. There are some exemptions to this mandate. The link to the order can be found under our educational resources page.9/1/2020 If you have not done so already, please complete the annual health survey that was sent via global connect last week. This provides us with the most up-to-date information regarding your child's health status as well as allows us to give certain over the counter medication (Tyleno, Tums, Ibuprofen) should you give your permission on this form to do so. Reminder that all juniors, whether attending in person or online, must submit proof of a recent physical exam. We can accept any exam that has occurred since day one of their sophomore year. Additionally, any senior, whether attending in person or online, must submit proof of a second meningitis vacat was given after their sixteenth birthday.cine or one th8/13/2020 Welcome Back to what is going to be a year like none other. We are prepared and excited to return. Please take a moment to review our website. You can find links to commonly used health forms, our contact information, community resources and ways you can assist us in keeping our school a healthy place for all to learn. Most importantly, familiarize yourself with the attached CDHS Health and Safety Plan. This will be our guide in protecting your students during this unprecedented year. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us. We look forward to working with you and your children.CDHS Health and Safety Plan4/16/2020 Curbside pickup for those students who have medication remaining at the school will occur on Monday, April 20th between the hours of 9:00am and 12:00am. You must remain in your car and a school official will come to you. Please have ID with you. You will be required to sign that you received the medication. If you would like, please bring your own pen. If you are sending a student to pick up the med, the parent MUST send a note allowing release of the medication to the student.4/6/2020 Due to the Coronavirus, the Department of Health has temporarily waived the requirement for school physicals in a student’s 11th grade year. Therefore, any student who has not yet submitted proof of physical exam is exempt from this requirement. This includes any senior who has been sent obligation letter due to not meeting the requirement in their junior year. We stress this is temporary, and have not heard from the Department of Health as to requirements for next year.3/16/2020 Please refer to the district website for updated information regarding COVID-19. When researching information about this virus or any medical concern, please refer to reliable sources such as the CDC and PA Department of Health's website. Links to both sites can be found under the Educational Resource Section of our website.As always, remember your basic hygiene procedures, such as washing your hands for 20 seconds, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, avoiding those who are sick, staying home if you are sick, and maintaining a healthy physical distance from those around you. During this time off, be active, challenge yourself, eat right, sleep right, and if you take medication, be compliant with your medication regimen.We are available by email should you have any questions. Take care and looking forward to seeing you all soon!
- On August 21, 2017, the school board approved the school nurse administration of certain over-the-counter medications with prior parent written permission. If you would like to your son/daughter to receive Tylenol, Ibuprofen, or Tums, should the nurse deem it appropriate, please ensure you have submitted the proper written permission to the nurses' office. This form, entitled over the counter medication form, can be found on the health form links of this website. It need only be completed once and will remain active in your son/daughter's file unless you contact the school nurse to retract or change your permission. Please contact either one of us if you have any questions.
- Starting in the 2017/2018 school year, all seniors are required to have a 2nd Meningitis vaccine. Any currently enrolled student who has not provided proof of this update will be placed on provisional status and will be given 5 days to provide proof of proper immunization. Any newly transfered student who does not meet the immunization requirements will also be provisionally enrolled, but will be given 30 days to obtain proof. Those students who have had their first meningitis vaccine AFTER the age of 16 are exempt from this requirement. Additionally, all students must now have 4 polio vaccines with the fourth dose being administered on or after their fourth birthday, as well as an updated tdap vaccine given during or after their 7th grade year.
- We are noticing several health issues that are affecting our students performance in the classroom such as vaping, lack of sleep, lack of breakfast. Please see the page labeled "Educational Resources" for more information on these topics.