What is Responsive Classroom?
What/Why? Responsive classroom is a program designed to increase social skills, establish positive classroom climate, increase learner investment and independence, and decrease disruptive behaviors.
7 Principals of Responsive Classroom
- The social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what they learn.
- The greatest cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- The social skills children need for academic success are represented by C.A.R.E.S
- Know the children we teach is as important as know the content we teach.
- Knowing the families we teach is as important as know the children.
- How we, the adults at the school, work together is as important as our individual competence.
How? Ten Teacher Practices of the Responsive Classroom
- Morning Meeting
- Creating Rules
- Interactive Modeling
- Teacher Language
- Logical consequences
- Guided Discovery
- Academic Choice
- Classroom Organization
- Working with families
10.Collaborative Problem Solving
Click through these ten teacher practices on the right hand side of this page starting with Morning Meeting.