Molly Radic, Reading SpecialistReading Strategy Suggestions
- "What do you think you will read in your book tonight?"
- "What do you think the resolution to your story will be?"
- "How do you think the problem will be solved?"
Clarify - Phonics
- "What chunks do you know?"
- "What does the word sound like when you put those chunks together?"
- "Did you reread the sentence to make sure it sounds right?"
Clarify - Word Meaning or Clarify - Idea
- "Did you reread the sentence?"
- "Did you look at the picture clues?"
- "Have you thought about what you've read so far?"
- "Maybe you need to read to the next page."
- "Who are the characters in the story?"
- "Where does the story take place?"
- "What is the Problem in the story?"
- "Why do you think the characters did ___________?"
- "Why did/didn't you like your book?"
- "What have you read so far in your book?"
- "What was the main idea of what you have read tonight?"
- "Tell me the main thing that has happened in your story so far."
"Help! I'm Stuck!"
What to say when your child comes to a word that s/he can't read.
- What clues can you get from the picture?
- What sound does the first letter make?
- Read to the end of the sentence and think about what word would make sense.
- Reread the sentence to see if the word you said makes sense.
Last Modified on October 5, 2020